Friday, October 11, 2013

This week..

The topic this week was on social class and culture diversity.  I enjoy learning about how the outside enviornment affects the family and how we act.  It was interesting to see that people do judge others based on class.  Some factors that can affect your class is money, lifestyle, education, location, and appearance.  I believe that it can be hard to move up in class because usually generations are in the same class, but you can change.  An example is that you can be from a poor circumstance but then you choose to go to college, get a good job and you can become part of a higher class.  I also believe that you can change your social classes depending on your attitude.  Naturally people choose friends who are like them and have similar beliefs and value, or interests.  I think class could have a role in the type of friends you have and who you associate with can determine who you become.

Culture is beliefs, customs, arts that a group of people live by.  Anyone can change their culture but they can never change their race.  The US is such a diverse place that I believe that it is important to respect others and be understanding of cultures.  Cultures make families be more united and have a better sense of familism.  Some of my favorite times with my family is the memories that I've made of traditions.  Traditions unite families and make life more enjoyable.  Culture can be a big part of an individual and family's life and I believe that we should all be tolerant of others.  Elder Oaks said that tolerance means to be friendly and fair.  We need to be friendly and fair to other people around us and know that everyone is God's children and we should learn to love them.


No comments:

Post a Comment